The Dystopian Book Challenge

My third book challenge for 2011 is, The Dystopian Book Challenge!


Dystopia Challenge

According to Wikipedia, the source of all accurate and legit information (LOL), dystopian literature is, "in literature, an often futuristic society that has degraded into a repressive and controlled state, often under the guise of being utopian."

I've dabbled in this and in the similar post-apocalyptic genre reading, "1984" by George Orwell which is terrifying, "Parable of the Sower" by my all-time favorite female author, Octavia Butler and most recently "The Road" by the master of lean prose, Cormac McCarthy among others. The genre is so fascinating because usually it seems like a future that can actually happen under the "right" (or should I say wrong) circumstances.

I'm aiming for the Asocial level of 5 books, but I had so many options that I've settled on 7. This could change though with all of the challenges I've joined, but I'm going to give it a college try, especially since several of these books have been on my "to read" list for a long time. I'll also try to blog reviews on each, even if it's a short one.


The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Uglies by Scott Westerfield

The Postman by David Brin

Idlewild by Nick Sagan

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

The Running Man by Stephen King

The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson

If you're interested click on the picture which will link you to the page where you can sign up too. The more the merrier!

*books that I already own

0 comments: